Wednesday, October 30, 2013

#34 Moriah Ministries

For those of you who do not know me personally, I am a married mother of two teenagers. My oldest child is a senior this year at Allendale High School. We are currently working through the process of college applications and visits. For this opportunity, I was contacted by Mrs. Love who invited me to join her in serving a meal to GVSU Students. I didn't know about this ministry, but I couldn't say no to that. After all, I am Alumni at GVSU. It turned out to be such a great night!! Moriah Ministries is a ministry for Grand Valley Students and their friends. There are team chaplains who are available to the kids for spiritual guidance 24/7. This group meets once a month. They are provided a home cooked meal (which is where I was put to work) followed by a youth group meeting which this night included live music. What a great way to spend some of my birthday celebration. Playing MOM to a group of college kids that literally live two blocks from my home. When kids are away for college, they often face many challenges. Their faith gets challenged. They are missing their homes. This ministry works to resolve both of those issues. It gives these students a sense of home. FAITH BUILDING AND A HOME COOKED MEAL.....what college kids wouldn't want this???? When I attended GVSU, in the 1990's, I would have loved to find this ministry. It would have sure helped me with my homesickness. If you want to BE THE DIFFERENCE in the lives of college students, please contact this ministry. They can be reached at http://moriahministries.wordpress.com/volunteers/

No comments: