Friday, October 4, 2013

#31 Equest Center for Therapeutic Riding

Do you have a favorite sound? I have two. The first is the sound of crashing waves. The second is pure uninhibited laughter. Last night my birthday adventure allowed me to experience one. I arrived at Equest Center for Therapeutic Riding after work. I was taught how to groom a horse. Once we completed the task and the horse was outfitted with its saddle then the fun began. The riders arrived. This night would prove to be a fantastic experience. I was able to be a side walker for the rest of the time I was at the center. Equest is a center that holds horse riding classes for persons with special needs. During their 30 minute class, riders are taken through different activities to allow them to challenge themselves. These include riding, directing the horses to walk, trot and once in a while even cantor. The riders are given tasks to increase their flexibility and their abilities to follow instructions. Some of the riders require side walkers, some are more independent. A side walker is just that, they walk beside the rider as they ride through their class. It was pretty universal that when the riders were allowed to have their horses trot that the joy came out. I cannot tell you how beautiful the sound is when you hear someone just laugh and even scream a little with pure joy. It was exactly what I needed to hear and a PERFECT addition to this birthday celebration. If you are interested in experiencing a little of this joy, please contact Equest and make arrangements to go and volunteer. They can be contacted at http://equestcenter.org/equest-volunteers/

No comments: