Saturday, July 20, 2013

#17 RELAY FOR LIFE

RELAY FOR LIFE OF ALLENDALE (Soon to be known as MAC Marne/Allendale/Coopersville Relay for Life) is a key fundraiser for the American Cancer Society. This is an event that began when one man, Dr. Gordy Klatt decided he wanted to make a difference in the lives of those affected with Cancer. He began a movement that has raised BILLIONS of dollars for cancer research and is now holding events just like this one around the world. I came upon this event a number of years ago, following the deaths of my amazing Mother-In-Law, Sheila Greeley and my grandfather, William Steenhagen. I wanted to make a difference too :) I attended the first Relay alone. But the funny thing is, I never for one moment felt alone that night. I was instantly a part of a community of people that had experienced what I had experienced and others that had a more personal experience with Cancer (their own diagnoses and treatments). I believe this will always be a part of my life. Every year I brought more and more people to this event. I have gone from being a Relayer, to being on the Committee in charge of Ceremonies, to facilitating a group of other relay committee members on how to run Ceremonies, to being in charge of Ceremonies and Survivorship to finally being the Committee Chair for the entire event. This is my cause. Since the time I began with Relay, MANY more friends and family members have heard the words "YOU HAVE CANCER". This is my way to stand with them and let them know they are not alone in this fight. The pictures include myself with our amazing keynote speaker for the 2013 Event, Laine Steenhagen. Yes, she is my family. My cousin. And a cancer SURVIVOR!!!!!! One of my favorite parts of the event is the Survivor Ceremony where we take a moment to celebrate with those who have beat cancer!!! I have included a picture of our survivors. They always wear purple and they are ALWAYS the focus of our event!!!! The pictures also include pictures from our event, including setting out the luminarias for our luminaria ceremony in which we honor our loved ones who we have won the battle with cancer, and remember the loved ones who succumbed to the disease. Our theme this year was "Beating Cancer to the Finish Line", hence the cardboard car race :) If you are looking for a way to take a stand against cancer I hope you will consider donating your time and efforts to RELAY FOR LIFE. Here is a link you can follow to find an event in your area. I promise if you attend one event, you will never forget the experience. http://www.relayforlife.org/

No comments: