Friday, July 26, 2013

#20 Michigan Abolitionist Project

Be the Difference......that is the name I am using for this little blog of mine. It is my goal to BE THE DIFFERENCE in my lifetime. As part of this birthday adventure, 40 projects to celebrate 40th birthday, I have found many ways to accomplish this task. I am now 1/2 way through this adventure and I have been truly touched by each organization I have come into contact with. I found a volunteer opportunity with Michigan Abolitionist Project that was just too important to pass up. Have you ever heard of Human Trafficking? Did you know that it affects people worldwide? Did you know that that includes West Michigan in the United States of America? I can truly say that I never took this into consideration. As I researched this more, I was shocked to say the least. How did I not know more about this? In any event, my eyes were opened and I wanted to do something about it. So, I talked to the people at Michigan Abolitionist Project and learned a super simple way to do just that. They suggested that I contact my Senator and Representative and let them know about a bill that will be coming to them in the future. It is called the "Justice for Victims of Human Trafficking" bill. This is a bill which will make it easier for victims to stand up to the human traffickers and not risk being prosecuted for what comes out in their testimony. It protects them from being hurt twice (once by the human traffickers and once by the Justice System). I sent my letters today. I simply asked for them to carefully review the bill and consider supporting it. Will you do the same???? You can find more information at http://www.michiganabolitionistproject.org/

No comments: