Wednesday, August 21, 2013

#24 Exodus Place

So what would a summer birthday celebration be without a cookout????? Tonight my birthday adventure took me to Exodus Place in Grand Rapids. This is a facility that gives formerly homeless veterans and other men in need a "hand up not a hand out". The men who live here are given a place to live, 3 meals a day, encouragement, skills training to assist them in finding work, counseling, bible studies, recreational activities and most of all...........a new start. Many of the residents are military veterans who have needs that the staff of this amazing facility are meeting. Each Wednesday night the staff hosts a cookout on the deck at this facility. The deck overlooks the Grand River and couldn't be more perfect. Tonight I was lucky enough to stand beside the two chefs and join them in serving approximately 50 men a fantastic dinner, barbeque chicken, homemade potato salad, corn on the cob and berries and cream for dessert. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there tonight. If you want to be a part of these men's lives, even for just a few hours, I recommend you contact them at http://exodusplace.org/

No comments: