Monday, April 15, 2013

#12 Gazelle Girl Half Marathon. WOW!!!! This was an event that Gazelle Sports put on in Grand Rapids, MI on April 13, 2013. My job this day was to work in Gear Check for the runners. We checked their bags and watched their belongings so they could concentrate on running their race. Following the race we got to return their belongings and congratulate them each for a job well done. Gazelle Sports literature reflects that they held this event to * To celebrate the 40th anniversary of Title IX * To honor women * To actively encourage new runners to participate in the sport * To build relationships * Because women’s health impacts family health * To enhance partnerships within the community * To raise money for women's charities * To HAVE FUN!! Fortieth Anniversary of Title IX......and my fortieth birthday celebration......YES, I think that was pretty perfect :) Not only did I see some FIERCE women athletes battle the elements and come out winners, but I also got to experience just how amazing this sport is as a whole. I have never been known as an athlete, I have never won a race or been the first pick on a sports team, however...I KNOW that those are true possibilities for women today. And for that I am truly thankful. I find that alot of my time is often devoted to others in my life. My kids, my husband, my family, my friends.......and I wouldn't change that for anything. This day I learned how important it can be to do something for yourself as well. Each of these women ran an amazing race. They trained, they set their goals and they achieved them :)And who was there supporting them.....none other than their children, spouses, family and friends. It was a beautiful thing to see. (Even if they had to do it in the rain, sleet and snow that this day brought). I have to thank Gazelle Sports for giving these women an opportunity to shine. Do you think that you would like to experience the comraderie, the energy, the excitement that surrounds a major sporting event such as this? If this sounds like you, please contact Gazelle Sport and volunteer to help out at a future event. You can find more information at gazellesports.com

2 comments:

GrannyPam said...

I found your blog by following a link my daughter, Laura, posted on Facebook. I think I will enjoy following your volunteer journey.

Gayle said...

Thank you :) I hope you will enjoy reading about all the opportunities in our area.