Sunday, November 17, 2013

#39 Grand Rapids Home For Veterans

For those who don't know me, I am terribly patriotic :) I am the daughter of an Army Veteran and a Navy Veteran (my father served in both branches of the United States Military). I was born at a Naval Base on July 13, 1973. I KNEW without a doubt that one of my 40 opportunities had to be the Veteran's Home. And guess what??? I achieved that goal. On Saturday I was able to join an amazing group of people who take time out of their lives every two months to put on a birthday party for the veterans living in the Grand Rapids Home for Veterans. The Ruff Ryders allowed me to join them and lend a hand that afternoon. They all arrived and made me feel so welcome to be serving with their group. We served cake and ice cream to all who wanted some that day. It was great fun. When I finished with the birthday party, I was then sent to another room where I joined the Purple Hearts in running a bingo game. Imagine that, me and a bingo game.....hahahahaha My dad would love that. I got to meet a veteran who had earned two purple hearts in his lifetime. What an amazing man! If you have ever wanted to BE THE DIFFERENCE in the life of a veteran, if you have ever wanted to say THANK YOU for all that they have done for our freedoms, I ask you to consider volunteering your time at the Veteran's Home nearest you. For me that was at http://www.michigan.gov/dmva/0,4569,7-126-2362_2749-8474--,00.html

No comments: